Does anybody actually like January? Its dark, its cold and its the longest wait for the next payday! And on top of that, you have the Christmas spending spree weighing on your mind.
Here are five things you can do to try and blow away those January blues.
1. Plan your year ahead. Everybody loves having something to look forward to. Planning your year ahead and setting a few goals can help sooth you into the new year. Set realistic goals or you will only end up disappointed. One of your aims maybe as simple as to socialize more, you could start arranging a night out.
2. Book a holiday. Booking a holiday is exciting. It distracts you from your depressed state and lifts your mood. It gives you something to look forward to and lets you know that there is a light on the horizon. Ok, you will be spending more money but its money well spent and it will cheer you up….And then you can ring your friends and family and tell them all about it.
3. Reflect on the previous year. What are you going to do differently this year? What worked well for you last year? Is there a niggling change in your life that you know would make it better but you have just been putting off. It may be the time to make that change. Was your career all its cracked up to be last year?
4. Get a new hobby. Make your world a wider place. Take up a new hobby. Maybe there is something that you have always wanted to try but just haven’t got around to it yet. Well the new year is the perfect time to start.
5. Learn a new skill. New skills are always a good thing but it takes effort to learn something new. Make a point of getting up and learning a new skill. And if you don’t want to leave the house you don’t need to. Online learning is readily available and you can literally learn anything. Learn a new language, learn computer programming, learn to touch type….It could be anything. It takes your mind off things and it gives you new skills. You may even meet some new friends.
January and the new year can be a trying time but just thought that it is a new year and could be a new start for you is sometimes enough to clear away those January blues.